Sunday, January 15, 2012

Titanic... I'll Never Let Go

This movie is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Each time I watch it, it makes me even more emotional. Just thinking about it in 3D makes me a bit teary. I saw the preview in theatres the other day, and since that day Titanic has been on my mind. I even dreamt of it. So I decided to suck it up and watch it.

And oh boy. I cried at the opening credits. Because it was real footage. Of smiling, happy people. 1500 out of those 2200 smiling faces died a few days later. Just, it's a tragedy. The love story obviously makes me ache... but its the true tragedy of it that gets me crying for hours. That scene where the mom is putting her two children to sleep because she knows they aren't going to wake up ever again... It just isn't right.

I love this movie. I love Leo DeCaprio with everything in me. I love Jack Dawson. He is a character, yes... But look at this quote - these are words to live by.

"Well, yes, ma'am, I do... I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count."



Rose: I love you, Jack.
Jack: Don't you do that, don't say your good-byes. Not yet, do you understand me?
Rose: I'm so cold.
Jack: Listen, Rose. You're gonna get out of here, you're gonna go on and you're gonna make lots of babies, and you're gonna watch them grow. You're gonna die an old... an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?
Rose: I can't feel my body.
Jack: Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me... it brought me to you. And I'm thankful for that, Rose. I'm thankful. You must do me this honor. Promise me you'll survive. That you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.
Rose: I promise.
Jack: Never let go.
Rose: I'll never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.

So lets live another day, and be thankful for all we have. The air in our lungs.. The people we meet.. The love we may find, no matter how short lived. Each day is the first day of the rest of your lives - so make it count.

And never let go.

1 comment: