Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I am... unbroken

So, it has been over a week and I haven't even blogged about my newest tattoo yet! I know, even I am a little confused about that. I think it is because I don't even know where to start or what to say or how to verbalize what my tattoo means to me. But, I will try.

Unbroken.


As most of you probably recognize, that is the title of Demi Lovato's most recent album. And it is a really great album, but that's not WHY I got the tattoo. The word struck me before I had even heard any of the songs. It rang something so real and so true through my body, and I knew from the minute I saw it - that this was it. This was my next tattoo.

Some people have asked if this has to do with my heart being broken. And in a way, yes it does. But not in the classic "a boy broke my heart," way.. In a.. "I have been through so much, and suffered a lot, and my heart has broken bit by bit along the way" way. Big difference.

You may look at me and think I am fine, and I have this great life. But some days, it takes a lot for me to smile. Some days, I don't want to get out of bed. But I do. And I am a hell of a lot stronger because of it. I fight internal battles all the time, but I don't let them win anymore. I let them teach me something about myself, somethings that maybe I never knew before. Somethings that may have been hard to learn, but make me better for knowing it. And really, at this point in my life - I refuse to be broken any longer.

I may be broke. But I am NOT broken.

My life is no longer my past. My life is how I have grown from the past. That is why I think the birds are a fantastic touch. Like.. what it says to me is that no matter how bad it seems, you are never stuck - you can always fly away. You can always go somewhere more beautiful. You can move your emotions to the place you want to be. And maybe you will hit turbulence (or shitty events) along the way - but that won't stop you.

You know why?

Because you are unbroken.

And being unbroken makes you:

Strong. Powerful. Fearless.

Ready to face what life has to throw at you.

Whole.

Appreciate life for what it is - a gift.

And honestly,

it makes you beautiful.

And I think the location of my tattoo on my collar bone is perfect (even though it hurt really bad getting it done). Thank you for all your help trying to decide where to get it. It was kind of hard though because I didn't tell anyone what I was getting done! This may sound ridiculous, I just think this placement is honestly really strong. It is like, here I am, and here are my emotions. Take them as you will. I am done hiding - so here I am, this is real.. This is me. Not only does this tattoo make me feel unbroken, it makes me feel empowered. It really does make me feel beautiful.

One of the best parts of getting this tattoo, was that I feel like I have really got a friend out of it too. You should check her out! tattoos by vickie

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your story and I love your tat. Keep on smiling! You are beautiful! And if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here :)

    ReplyDelete