Sunday, November 27, 2011

Degrees of Separation

Have you ever felt that wherever you go and whoever you meet, no matter how wildly new and different they are from anyone in your past - you will usually be able to make some kind of connection to someone in your past. Probably someone who was important. I know there are times, very frustrating times, where I feel like I can't escape. Even across the province, EVERYONE KNOWS EVERYONE. And it blows my mind.

But apparently, I am not alone in this - and there is a very good explanation for this phenomenon. Degrees of Separation

You're probably thinking that this sounds familiar.. 6 degrees of separation, right? Wikepedia describes this phenomenon like this "Six degrees of separation refers to the idea that everyone is on average approximately six steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person on Earth, so that a chain of, "a friend of a friend" statements can be made, on average, to connect any two people in six steps or fewer." Sounds legit... And scary!

But it gets worse! New research is stating that this number is a little too big... And we are reaching about a separation of 4 or 5. This is made possible through social networks, like facebook. But like, this is the WORLDWIDE stat... WORLDWIDE we are connected to any given person by 4 or 5 degrees, or introductions, and that is just insane. But like...

What does this mean for people who share the same interests, live in similar areas, follow the same dreams. The degrees must be even smaller. And I can totally vouch for this. Like most people, really, are only separated from us by like 1 or 2 people. No matter where I go or who I meet, I can always find a way to make a connection to my past - and it is shocking easy how quickly this happens.

The world is a pretty small place, and it is almost impossible to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment