Tuesday, August 23, 2011

RIP Jack Layton

It was with terrible sadness that I learned that Jack Layton had passed away yesterday morning. When I heard the news on the radio at work, I literally freaked out. We all knew he was sick.... But I don't think any of us saw this coming. At least not this soon, anyway.

That was because this man was a fighter. And he will be remembered as such.

Actually, to be perfectly honest, his first legacy miiiiiight be his incredible mustache... That thing was pure and unparalleled perfection...

But, yeah! Being a fighter is definitely a close second.

I gotta admit, this man really inspired me to get involved in this year's election. The way he ran his campaign was incredible, clearly, seeing as he took the NDPs into official opposition and bringing the liberals down to their lowest point, ever. I truly believe this man would change the world, regardless what party he was associated with, in an amazing way. He was so much more than his party. I feel like Jack Layton was the answer to a lot of Canada's problems. Like he said, this is a wonderful country, but there is so much more that can come from us.

I loved watching him debate because he was so passionate, fair, honest, and he had the best come backs (the man was a firecracker). There was something so honest and trustworthy about him, and that is RARE in politics. Politics won't be the same without him, but I really believe that he has inspired a nation. I hope that good things are going to be happening in the future because of him. We need to remember all he did and what he stood for, and allow him to continue to inspire Canada through the wonderful legacy he has left behind!

His death brought more than a few tears to my eyes, and my greatest sympathies go to his family - because I know, cancer is a tough battle and it is never easy to lose someone you love.

RIP Jack Layton, you inspirational mustachioed fighter!

I am going to sign off the way the Mr. Layton signed off his final letter to the Canadian public, dated two days prior to his death:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

All my very best,

Jack Layton"

1 comment: