Wednesday, August 31, 2011

my personal weight-loss

Like I said in my first post of this blog, I knew 2011 was going to be a good year for me. And this involved getting myself healthy.

However, this more or less meant getting healthy emotionally - and I feel like all my weight-loss came out as a by-product of this. I honestly wanted to be happy and healthy. Skinny was never the goal, never will be either. Just health.

For all of you who want to know, I have lost about 20 pounds. Which is crazy, because I never thought I had 20 pounds I needed to lose. Bra wise, I have gone from a 36D to a 34C (trust me, I am STOKED about that), and have gone down about 4 or 5 pant sizes. The only thing that is getting bigger is my booty. If you look to the left, that is what Kelsey plus 20 pounds looked like. I accept I was never fat, but admittedly I like the way I look without the extra pounds. To the right and below a bit is current Kelsey.

People ask me often what I did to lose this weight. I don't exactly have an answer for them, other than I put the right attitude into it this time. I changed my life, I became happy, and that was step 1. The other steps followed and went along naturally without TOO much effort. I love that at this point I can look at my body and know that I literally worked my ass off. Remember:
If you don't change anything, how can you expect your body to change?

My best tips:

1. It is almost impossible to start exercising, but once you find a routine that you like - you will crave it :) It could be anything. Find what you like, because you are way more likely to keep it up.

2. Eat what you crave. Seriously. If you crave chips, eat some. Because if you don't, your craving will just build and build and build and eventually go crazy. It is never good to deprive yourself. It just leads to bad things in the end.

3. PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN. Exercise is almost wasted without adequate protein intake.

4. Fiber is your friend, say hello to it. Hold on to it. And never let go. Especially with a diet that includes increased protein.

5. Don't weigh yourself often. I didn't weigh myself for months, so when I looked at my weight after all that time and saw the initial drop of 12 pounds - it was crazy motivational. A women's weight can fluctuate up to about 10 pounds A DAY depending on what you eat and what time of the month it is, so weighing yourself every day can be really discouraging.

6. Just because you have a bad day doesn't mean you ruined everything. Everyone has bad days. Whatever. Who currrrs. It's life.

7. Remember, this is the only body you get. Treat it right. I don't diet, but I have decided to really focus on "clean" eating. I am just starting that actually, and am really excited. The less grease, the better. The less processing, the better. As much as I hate whole grains, I am cutting back on the starchy white stuff.

8. Don't smoke. It may make you thinner by reducing your appetite. But there are healthier ways. Working at this office throughout the summer, I see how much of an INDEPENDANT risk factor smoking is. So many sick people are also smokers (and they are also often overweight, which scares me too).

9. It is never too late to start. But, the sooner the better. You never want to get to that point where you feel like you have gone too far deep - but if you get there, just know that it ISN'T too late.

As Taylor Swift would say:

"Today is never too late to be brand new."

No comments:

Post a Comment